Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Entropy Part 9

DERRICK
Anyway, where were we?

GITTINS
Something strange happenned.

DERRICK
Ah yes. An entire supply of '4 had been doped with mind altering drugs. The effect on me was pretty bad. I was having conversations with people that didn't make sense.

GITTINS
Sorry, what didn't make sense? The conversations or the people?

DERRICK
It was both.

GITTINS
(Nodding) It sounds like Terranovacain, TNC for short. It was used by the Archie syndicate about 15 years ago. They didn't last long.

DERRICK
You knew of the Archie Sydnicate?

GITTINS
Sure do, I used to work for them. I think I may even have some TNC at home. A little helps the blackness.

DERRICK
Hmm.. the blackness

(They both nod knowingly)

GITTINS
Anyway, if someone's got a hold of some TNC it spells bad news for the whole food market. TNC is easily disguised and is virtually tasteless. Too much of it and the government may even begin to notice something going on. What do you want me to do?

DERRICK
I want you find out who did this and kill them.

GITTINS
I'm not an assassin Mr Derrick. But if you want me to kill them I will. But don't you want to know why they did it?

DERRICK
I suppose that will come in handy. Tell you what, I'll double your fee if you find out.

GITTINS
My fee is 50. 25 in advance, 25 when the job is completed and another 50 if I give you information as to why they did it.

DERRICK
You're certainly not a cheap man Mr Gittins. I certainly hope you're worth it. (opens desk and places small coins on the table, starts to count coins) And if I find you are taking me for a ride, I'll get someone else to kill you - someone cheap and nasty who won't do the job properly and cause you a bit too much pain. Agreed?

GITTINS
Agreed

(They shake hands. Gittins goes to the corner and picks up the garbage can lid and soup packet. Examines them carefully, then leaves).

DERRICK (V.O)
I had just taken the biggest risk of my life. Perhaps it was the drugs, or maybe I had simply gone mad, but I had entrusted one of my most pressing corporate problems in years to an outsourced unknown named Gittins. But something told me I could trust him, that he would never let me down. That's never happenned to me before. I suppose that's why I begun to hate him so much.



45. Inside Marjorie's apartment, view of Marjorie sleeping. The door pounds loudly. Majorie wakes up, gets her gun and goes to the door. She opens it. Gittins walks in. Marjorie keeps the gun trained on him.

GITTINS
We have a job.


46. Hospital ward. Gittins is walking along with his arm in a sling. Blood is seeping through the wound. Marjorie walks behind him in an agitated state, dried blood on her blouse.

MARJORIE
It was four o'clock in the morning. I was having a bad dream and then you showed up my doorstep!

GITTINS
You are a menace woman. You've tried to kill me twice in the last few days.

MARJORIE
It was your damn fault Gittins!

GITTINS
No, it was the government's fault for issuing you a weapon. At least you know how to point it now!

MARJORIE
I was asleep. You don't wake someone up when they're asleep. And you woke me up three times last night.

GITTINS
Guns and women don't mix. I should have followed the private gun ownership manual guidelines. Never mix a woman with a gun.

MARJORIE
Okay okay, let's just agree to disagree.

GITTINS
How the hell can you agree to disagree? Isn't that bordering on a paradox?

MARJORIE
Gittins! (She pulls him over to stop and faces him just a bit too close)

MARJORIE
What is our job?

GITTINS
We have to kill someone.

MARJORIE
I can do that.

GITTINS
(Pointedly) I Know! (Pulls away and keeps walking) Now look, we've wasted enough time already. Next time you decide to shoot me, do it during the day when the damn hospitals are open. (Stops walking, looking woozy. Talking to himself) I've had a bad night. I didn't sleep. I sprained my ankle. Got shot in the arm and spent the rest of the morning bleeding all over the front porch of the damn hospital which doesn't open until 10am. What happens next?

MARJORIE
We go kill someone.

GITTINS
I'm in no mood to kill anyone at the moment... well, there's one person I'd like to kill.

MARJORIE
Ha Ha (unfunny) that makes two of us. Look, why don't you just trust me on this one. Tell me what to do and I'll do it.

GITTINS
(To Himself) Women and guns don't mix (Normal voice). Okay. I need to you go to the corner of Yarjik Street and Harry Road in NW12. There is a haircutter shop there. Go to the counter and ask for Steve. When you see Steve, tell him you're looking for some TNC.

MARJORIE
TNC. What's that?

GITTINS
(Annoyed) It's that drug....

MARJORIE
Ah yes. The one in that vile drink.

GITTINS
It is not vile.

MARJORIE
Gittins, I tasted it. It tastes like floor cleaning fluid.

GITTINS
I'm not surprised. I think the guy who makes the drink also makes cleaning fluid.

MARJORIE
Alright. Okay. So I go to that street you told me about....



to be continued...


© 2006 Neil McKenzie Cameron, http://one-salient-oversight-entropy.blogspot.com/


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home