Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Entropy Part 2


13. Gittins walking down lighted pathway.

GITTINS (V.O.)
I suppose I could have gone to another pharmacy, but I couldn't be bothered. Besides, if I missed out on one dose, it couldn't harm me much.

14. Gittins in bed. Screaming in agony - going through cold turkey.

15. Gittins sitting at table in public eatery. Eating unpalatable food on metal tray in front of him.

GITTINS (V.O.)
Fortunately I found out that the doctors had left me some tablets in a container I found in my jacket. Now I was here to meet someone. I had received a call in the morning that I was to meet my new partner here at the canteen near my apartment. I didn't like the idea of a partner - it's much better for me to work alone. Besides, I just don't like anyone - after all, I'm only human.

MARJORIE
Are you Gittins?

GITTINS
(Looks around, to see if the person is talking to him or not. Looks up at Marjorie) Yeah. Who are you?

MARJORIE
I'm Marjorie. I work with the secret police. I'm here to be your... your.. what's the word?

GITTINS
Partner?

MARJORIE
That's the word. What does it mean?

GITTINS
I think it means we work together.

MARJORIE
(looking annoyed and sick) That's what I was afraid of. Can we talk?

GITTINS
Isn't that what we're doing?

MARJORIE
Move over. We need to talk, and no one is to hear us.


16. View of eating booth from the side. We see that it is a single-person eating booth. Moreover, we see single eating booths occupied by everyone.

17. View from other side of table. Gittins and Marjorie squeezing in on one seat together. Both are looking very uncomfortable at having their personal space invaded.

18. View of others looking at them in total amazement. Some are openly staring, others are forcing themselves to ignore it.


19. View of table with Gittins and Marjories squeezed together.


GITTINS
It would be nice if they actually made eating booths for two people wouldn't it?

MARJORIE
(looking confused) Why on earth for?

GITTINS
So.... two people can..... have a meal.... together, I suppose.

MARJORIE
You're sick. Do you think I'm enjoying this?

GITTINS
No.

MARJORIE
Gittins, listen to me. I'm only doing this because I was ordered to do it. I've read your files, your notebooks, your confessions and, frankly, you sicken me. I find it very unusual that you are still alive - if it was up to me you'd be dead by now.

GITTINS
Well, fortunately it wasn't up to you.

MARJORIE
And what's that supposed to mean? Are you questioning my ability to do my job? If you are, then I'm just going to walk and never talk to you again. You'd hate that wouldn't you? You seem to need to someone around to talk to don't you.

GITTINS
Marjorie, listen, that was in the past. I'm cured now. I'm no threat to anyone except the free trade movement. I don't need to talk to anyone or be with anyone. I'm not sick anymore. Besides, you've been ordered to work with me, so you can't walk out can you?

MARJORIE
(Looking very uncomfortable). No.

GITTINS
I don't want you to work with me as much as you don't want to work with me. When I operated as a freelance (at this Marjorie grimaces) I worked by myself. I was my own boss. I was more effective. I don't need anyone, especially.... a woman... to work with me.

MARJORIE
Well you'll just have to get used to this won't you?


GITTINS
And so do you Marjorie. Now are you going to tell me what's going on?

MARJORIE
What do you mean?

GITTINS
You were sent here with information from the secret police. Something to tell me?

MARJORIE
No. I was just told to meet you here. I thought you had something to tell me?

GITTINS
Why the hell would I have anything to tell you?

MARJORIE
Well, you're in command of this stupid undercover operation, I thought you knew!

GITTINS
You mean, you have nothing to tell me at all?

MARJORIE
I've just told you....

GITTINS
(laughs very forcefully)

MARJORIE
What the hell was that?

GITTINS
It's called laughing. I did a lot of it when I was sick.

MARJORIE
You're sick now. I'm going... (begins to get up)

GITTINS
(Holds on to her arm) Marjorie wait.

MARJORIE
Don't touch me! Don't you ever touch me!

GITTINS
We were touching when we were sitting down.

MAJORIE
That's different... I... I

GITTINS
It's okay Marjorie. I'm not sick. I'm sorry I touched you, please don't go, we need to talk.

MARJORIE
(Looking confused. Slides back in. their bodies touch again, much to their discomfort). No one's ever said that to me.

GITTINS
What?

MARJORIE
No one's ever said sorry to me... for anything

GITTINS
I hate doing it, believe me. I just had to get you to sit down again.

MARJORIE
So you're not really sorry at all?

GITTINS
Marjorie please, all I'm doing...

MARJORIE
You're a damn liar aren't you? I can't even trust you to...

GITTINS
(Yells) SHUT UP YOU FAT WOMAN!

MARJORIE
(Shuts up. Period of silence follows) Am I really fat?

GITTINS
A bit.

MARJORIE
(looking depressed) I'm like one of those women you laugh at on the streets aren't I?

GITTINS
Marjorie...

MARJORIE
You know those ones with the fat hanging out everywhere. Enormous breasts, enormous hips.

GITTINS
They got rid of them years ago. They were a public eyesore.

MARJORIE
I'm going to turn into one aren't I? The government's going to get rid of me too aren't they?

GITTINS
Marjorie. You're not fat.

MARJORIE
But you said....

GITTINS
(softly) I was just trying to shut you up. You talk too much and don't listen, just like most women.

MARJORIE
.... I read in your notebook that you said that belief was wrong.

GITTINS
What do you mean?

MARJORIE
It was one of those little bits you wrote about "common misperceptions of reality" I think you called it.

GITTINS
Yes. I wrote that much of modern society is based on the degredation of women. That in reality, men and women are equal. I wrote that men are just as prone to talk first and listen later as women.

MARJORIE
Do you believe that?

GITTINS
Of course not. I was sick when I wrote it. Now, what are we going to do?


to be continued...


© 2005 Neil McKenzie Cameron, http://one-salient-oversight-entropy.blogspot.com/


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home