Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Entropy Part 3

MARJORIE
I don't know. But the prospect of working together as undercover... "freelance"... detectives is hardly what I find enjoyable.

GITTINS
Well, I suppose we share one thing in common then.

MARJORIE
What?

GITTINS
We don't like each other. At least it's a start. But let me put some rules down. I am the hierarch of this operation. You do what I tell you to do. Do you have any experience in detective work?

MARJORIE
Of course not, it's a forbidden activity. I don't even know what it is.

GITTINS
What? You mean you read all my notes, my journals, my confessions and you don't even know what sort of activities I was involved in?

MARJORIE
No. As I told you, it's a forbidden activity. They wouldn't let me know.

GITTINS
But reading my journals is just as forbidden. (sighs) The government has absolutely no idea how to run anything properly.

MARJORIE
What do you mean? The government loves us and cares for us. Without the government we...

GITTINS
.. wouldn't be able to live, yes I do know the creed. What I am saying is that the free-trade movement is far better at organisation and running things that the government is. It is because they are driven by the need for profit, and it is precisely this reason why the free-trade movement is so effective.

MARJORIE
What you're saying sounds very offensive. As a member of the secret police I could get you arrested for this.

GITTINS
It sounds bad I know, but the free-trade movement are a dangerous threat to our society for precisely those reasons. By offering a different, even superior, way of life, they are in effect destroying the world as we know it. We have to face the truth that the free-trade movement is very dangerous and highly organised. It is destroying our world. Because of my experience in the movement I can work as an undercover freelance detective and have the opportunity to bring the free trade movement down from the inside.

MARJORIE
(Silent for a moment, pondering) So what is it?

GITTINS
What?

MARJORIE
A detective, what is a detective?

GITTINS
We solve crimes. Follow people. Spy. Investigate.

MARJORIE
Sounds interesting. Do you kill people?

GITTINS
No, that's an assassin. Sometimes a detective is forced to kill someone.

MARJORIE
Have you killed anyone?

GITTINS
No.

MARJORIE
Neither have I. They gave me a gun and told me I might have to kill someone.

GITTINS
They didn't give me a gun.

MARJORIE
Well, you're a convicted freelancer aren't you. They don't want to take the risk.

GITTINS
That's not the reason. They didn't give me a gun probably because they lost the paperwork, or some clerk somewhere is "too busy" to fill out the forms. Do you know how to use it?

MARJORIE
Of course I do.

GITTINS
Have you ever fired it?

MARJORIE
No, they told me that I couldn't waste the bullets. They have a shortage at the moment.

GITTINS
So you have a gun, but you've never used one and never fired one?

MARJORIE
Yes... is that a problem?

GITTINS
Yeah, I'd say it is a problem. I think I might have some bullets stashed at home somewhere. Come with me, and I'll teach you how to use it.



20. Gittins and Marjories walking together, they are arguing, but the voice over prevents us from hearing what it is they are saying.

GITTINS (V.O.)
So I'd met my partner and her name was Marjorie. I probably would have enjoyed her company when I was sick, but now she was just a nuisance, a necessary evil in my quest to destroy the free trade movement. Hopefully she'll get bumped off soon by some free-trade psycho with a gun, and I would have free reign to destroy the free reign of others. How ironic.



21. View of TV set in Gittin's home. Gunshot blows TV up.

GITTINS
You idiot! Now I won't be able to watch TV! What am I supposed to do with my free time now?

MARJORIE
You didn't tell me it would be so loud, my ears are ringing.

GITTINS
Do you know how long it takes to get a new TV? 6 months by the time the stupid clerk fills out the necessary paperwork. Why didn't you shoot it when I was sick? I never watched TV when I was sick. I was too busy writing stupid things about freedom and talking to people.

MARJORIE
I don't give a damn about you or your TV! Why can't you teach me how to operate this thing right? It's not my fault that your TV blew up, it's your fault that you didn't teach me how to aim?

GITTINS
(imitating Marjorie) "I know how to aim", look at this thing (pointing at tin can). You've wasted two bullets, put a hole in my wall and blown up my TV. Women just can't get anything right!

MARJORIE
(Absolutely furious, takes aim at can and blows it away. Then looks up at Gittins with dark anger).

GITTINS
(Anger totally gone) Well done. Next time you need to use that thing, make sure you're really pissed off about something. I know, think of me! (Smiles)

MARJORIE
(Anger turns to confusion, then a small laugh escapes her lips. Suddenly she is confused). Did I just laugh?

GITTINS
You're fitting in very well Marjorie. One day you'll be a fine free trader.



22. Sweep to door opening. A man walks in with thick rimmed glasses and a slight moustache. He is accompanied by 2 heavily built men, carrying clubs.


HIERACH XAVIER
Ah, at last we meet Mr Gittins. May I introduce myself, I am Hierarch Xavier.

GITTINS
I know who you are. I saw you on television today.

HIERARCH XAVIER
(Smiles) That's good, (looks at smouldering TV, then frowns) then you must know why I am here?

GITTINS
No. Why are you here Hierarch?

HIERARCH XAVIER
(looking confused) You, are a free trader Mr Gittins. I am here to dispense justice.

GITTINS
With all due respect Hierach Xavier, I've been cured. I'm in the secret police now. I'm using my position as freelance detective to bring the free trade movement down from the inside.

HIERARCH XAVIER
Hah, a likely story. No, you were released either by some bureaucratic bungle or you were set free by the free traders. In any case, I am here to kill you.

GITTINS
Marjorie, give me the gun.

MARJORIE
No. It's mine. I was issued it.

HIERARCH XAVIER
Who are you?

MARJORIE
My name is Marjorie, I am with the secret police. This man is telling you the truth.

HIERARCH XAVIER
You're just another free trader. (To men) Get them.


(The men bring out their clubs, but before they approach, Marjorie brings the gun up. They hesitate.)

HIERARCH XAVIER
Get them you idiots. It's only a woman.


(Marjorie aims the gun at Xavier's leg and blows away his kneecap. Xavier falls to the ground, screaming.)

HIERARCH XAVIER
(Being picked up by the men) (Yelling) You're both dead! You don't know who you're dealing with here! I have contacts, I can make things very painful for you both.

GITTINS
With all due respect Hierarch, you have no business poking into internal security matters. I suggest you go and get your leg looked at, and never bother us again.

HIERARCH XAVIER
(in great pain) Oh you'll here from me again Gittins! I'm going to make things very painful for you both. I have contacts. You don't know who you're dealing with here!

GITTINS
(looking concerned) Do you normally repeat yourself? Perhaps it's because you're in pain. (To the men) Take him away, he's bleeding on my floor and it will take me 4 weeks to get someone to clean my carpet.


(Xavier is taken out screaming)

HIERARCH XAVIER
You'll pay for this Gittins, and you will too, you fat woman!
to be continued...


© 2005 Neil McKenzie Cameron, http://one-salient-oversight-entropy.blogspot.com/


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home