Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Entropy Part 1


1 Close Camera looking into vacant eyes of Gittins. Panning back slowly during V.O. to reveal Gittins wearing dirty underwear, sitting on table. White walls, no other furniture visible. Sparse.

GITTINS (V.O.)
It was the happiest day of my life, if you could ever call anything about my life happy. I was finally cured of the disease, but the doctors told me I had to take some sort of drugs to keep me under control.


2. Gittins naked, shot from rear, being hose showered by orderlies.

GITTINS (V.O.)
That was fortunate. I don't think I could have lived with the disease - the doctors said they would have had to kill me had the treatment not worked, since the disease was so infectous.


3. Gittins slowly combing wet hair, looking into mirror. Eyes vacant.

GITTINS (V.O.)
If I didn't take the drugs, the doctors said I would contract the disease again. I think we're so fortunate to have such a good health department - they work very hard.


4. Gittins being led down a corridor by bored looking military guards. Look on his face continues to be vacant and unemotional. Fisheye lens?

GITTINS (V.O.)
The fact that I was cured made me very happy. But what I didn't expect was the interview with Politic Sam. Politic Sam was one of the hierarchs who ran the world, although I must say I'd never heard about him until I met him. He had an interesting proposal for me.


5. Gittins strapped in chair, military guards on either side of him. They are in a very messy and disorganised office. They are opposite a desk full of junk and paper. A man walks in - Politic Sam - and sits at the desk.

POLITIC SAM
Mr Gittins, you are now a member of the secret police. Your job is to expose criminal elements of society by working undercover as a freelance detective. Do you understand?


GITTINS
(Very Slowly) But I was sick. Freelance is wrong. If I freelance I will get sick.


POLITIC SAM
Freelancing is wrong. It does make you sick. But we need to protect our society from free trade. Free trade is causing a lot of problems for us Mr Gittins. You are in the perfect position to help our world. We want you to pretend to be a freelance detective.


GITTINS
(Awareness beginning to dawn on his face, still speaking slowly) So you want me to use the practice of free trade in order to bring it down? Are you aware of that irony?

POLITIC SAM
(Shaking his head) I don't know what irony is Mr Gittins, but I'm sure you read it somewhere in one of those books that made you sick. But yes, you're right, we will be using your agency as a front to destroy the free trade organisation.


GITTINS
(Blank) That's good. Free trade is destroying our world. I want to save our world and destroy free trade. I want to be a freelance detective again, and bring the movement down from the inside.


POLITIC SAM
(Smiling) That's very good Mr Gittins. Come see me later this afternoon when the drug has worn off. (looks at guards) Take him back to his cell, make sure he is fed and clothed and rested.


6. Gittins lying down in cell, his eyes flickering, no longer vacant.

GITTINS (V.O.)
I was feeling just great. But what I really needed to do was talk to Politic Sam about an idea that I had been having. When I was sick, I was operating as a freelance detective. I was arrested and sentenced to death, but somehow they made a cure, and I was free from the sickness. Now I wanted to repay my debt to them, to show them how much I appreciated their help.


7. Back in Politic Sam's office. This time, Gittins is sitting freely in the chair, looking far more "with it" than before.

POLITIC SAM
You wanted to see me Mr Gittins?


GITTINS
Yes, thankyou for seeing me.


POLITIC SAM
Not at all, what's on your mind?


GITTINS
Well, first I'd just like to say thanks for curing me.

POLITIC SAM
The cure is very hard, many people die during the process. But you were strong enough to handle it, so what is your proposal?

GITTINS
I'd like to work as a freelance detective again. But this time as an undercover agent, trying to bring the free-trade organisation down from the inside?

POLITIC SAM
How ironic.

GITTINS
Isn't it? Fortunately I was operating pretty much on the outside of the movement, and those in the movement who knew me are now dead.

POLITIC SAM
Thanks to your information, of course.

GITTINS
(Smiles) Whatever I can do to help. But, if I could maybe join the secret police I could work at exposing more free traders.

POLITIC SAM
That sounds like a very good idea Mr Gittins. I am very pleased that you want to do this. But don't you think this is dangerous? You might get sick again, and re-join the free trade movement.

GITTINS
(With practiced conviction) Free Trade is destroying our world. I want to save our world and destroy free trade. I want to be a freelance detective again, and bring the movement down from the inside.

POLITIC SAM
Very good Mr Gittins. You have done very well. I have not met someone who was cured so absolutely. Tell me, what do you remember about your former life.

GITTINS
(nonplussed) Absolutely everything.

POLITIC SAM
What about this (holding a notebook)? What about your little treatise on freedom?

GITTINS
What about it?

POLITIC SAM
Do you remember what you said here?

GITTINS
Yes I do.

POLITIC SAM
(Gestures for Gittins to continue)

GITTINS
Basically I argue that we are all controlled by the society around us, and that the government is making it impossible for people to think for themselves. We are being brainwashed by everything the government says. I argue that freedom is the natural condition of man, and that we should have the choice to do what we want, when we want. Free trade is an expression of this because it's economic concept is based on consumer choice - supply and demand.

POLITIC SAM
And what do you think of what you said now?

GITTINS
Well, I was sick when I wrote it. (practiced) The government and the hierarchs exist to serve us, and to make our society more orderly and happy. The free trade organisation is spreading discord in our world. It spreads chaos and disrespects what our society wants. I want to save our world and destroy free trade. I want to be a freelance detective again, and bring the movement down from the inside.

POLITIC SAM
Very good, Mr Gittins. You are free to return home. I will make arrangements with the secret police to inform you of your next move. We will give you a partner, a fellow secret policeman.


8. Gittins walking down lighted pathway, dressed in 1940s gear. People walk by, oblivious to him. He is looking vacant again, but more distracted than drugged.

GITTINS (V.O)
Politic Sam was the sort of guy who made you feel happier than you ever had before. I was happy that he agreed with my proposal. After all, Free trade was destroying our world. If I worked as an undercover freelance detective again, I would have the opportunity to bring the free trade movement down from the inside.


9. Gittens opens door to home. Goes to fridge and opens door. Stench overpowers him, and he closes it quickly. He turns TV on. It is a news report, the newscaster looking very dishevelled and bored.

NEWSREADER
...And hierarch Xavier spoke to us today about the growing problems with subversive groups in society. He spoke to our reporter, umm.... (looks around for something). He spoke to our reporter Mr Johnson about it.


10. View from TV. Reporter is talking to Hierarch Xavier.

MR JOHNSON
Hierarch Xavier. We all know that the government is there for our help and benefit. What possible reason would there be these subversive groups to exist?

POLITIC XAVIER
They are sick people. They are suffering from a disease that has no cure. We must put a stop to their activities as soon as possible.

MR JOHNSON
Thankyou Hierach, we trust you and know that the government will do its best. What can we do to help?

POLITIC XAVIER
(looking into camera) We can't trust anyone. Not even those who live next door. If you suspect anyone of free-trade activity, report it to the law-enforcers immediately.



11. View of Gittins sitting on couch. Flickering of Television on his face. Looks blank into the camera.

GITTINS (V.O)
I knew that was a mistake. The law enforcers were the most inept bunch of people I'd ever met. They never acted on any evidence they received anyway. In fact, I wondered if they would appreciate Xavier's call. They would be inundated with calls. I was greatly amused at this.


12. View of Gittins sitting on a couch elsewhere. Exactly the same expression on his face as previous scene. Light changed to be brighter.

GITTINS (V.O.)
The first thing I needed to do was to get my drugs. The doctors warned me that I needed a daily intake of specially prescribed drugs, otherwise I would become unstable again and begin to actually believe the garbage I wrote in my notebooks. So I went down to the pharmacy to get my drugs. After a short wait of only 45 minutes, I was told the news.

PHARMACIST
(off camera) Sorry. The drugs aren't in yet. Come back in a week.
to be continued...


© 2005 Neil McKenzie Cameron, http://one-salient-oversight-entropy.blogspot.com/


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home